Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Equal Opportunities for All: Respecting the Rights of Persons With Disabilities
- This booklet provides an introduction to interacting with and respecting persons with disabilities, the power of language, etiquette, and information on accessibility. PDF format.
How could She Possibly Make it in Court? An Intervention Program Assisting Complaints with Intellectual Disabilities in Sexual Assault Cases in the Western Cape
- Case study from a book chapter examining how a program in Western Cape, South Africa is working to empower sexual assault victims with intellectual disabilities who pursue justice in court. PDF format.
It's About Ability: Learning Guide on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
- The purpose of this guide is to empower children and young people with and without disabilities to speak out on the CRPD, to advocate for rights, and to make communities more inclusive. The activities in this guide are to be used by peer educators, teachers and other educators to facilitate learning among 12- to 18-year-olds about the Convention and how it applies to children. PDF format.
Language Policy and SASL: Interpreters in the Public Service
- This book chapter argues that South African Sign Language (SASL) is central to the advocacy of the South African Deaf community's advocacy for equal human rights. It also argues that professional SASL interpreters must become an integral part of the public service and should be readily available in public areas. PDF format.
Media Guidelines for the Portrayal of Disability
- These guidelines are intended to provide practical advice to media on how to promote positive, inclusive images of women and men with disabilities and stimulate a climate of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for people with disabilities at all levels of the economy and society. PDF format.
WHO Resource Book on Mental Health, Human Rights and Legislation.
- This resource book aims to assist countries in drafting, adopting and implementing disability rights legislation. It does not prescribe a particular legislative model for countries, but rather highlights the key issues and principles to be incorporated into legislation. PDF format.