The UN defines Eastern Africa as 19 territories: Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Mozambique and Madagascar, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Comoros, Mauritius, Seychelles, Réunion, and Mayotte.
Ethiopia: A Proclamation Concerning the Rights of Disabled Persons to Employment
- A brief proclamation regarding the rights of people with disabilities to employment in Ethiopia.
Madagascar: Loi no. 97-044: Sur les Personnes Handicapees
- La présente loi a pour objet d'assurer à d'assurer à toutes personnes handicapées la reconnaissance la jouissance et l'exercice par elles-mêmes ou par d'autres personnes de tous les droits reconnus à tous les citoyens sans distinction.
Malawi: Constitution (1994)
- This is the constitution of the Republic of Malawi which recognizes that all citizens are equal and should be protected by the constitution including those with disabilities.
Malawi: No. 48 of 1971
- An act to make provision for the improvement of the care, assistance and education of people with disabilities in Malawi; to establish a Council for the handicapped; to provide for the voluntary registration of handicapped persons; and to provide for the registration, direction, control and regulation of associations whose objectives include the welfare of the handicapped.
Persons with Disabilities Act, 2010: Key Issues
- A brief guide to understanding the Tanzanian Persons with Disabilities Act, 2010. PDF format.
Tanzania: The Persons with Disabilities Act, 2010
- An act to make provision for the health care, social support, accessibility, rehabilitation, education and vocational training, communication, employment or work protection, and promotion of basic rights for people with disabilities. PDF format.
The Constitution of the Republic of Uganda: Chapter 4: Human Rights and Freedoms
- The Constitution of the Republic of Uganda which recognized the human rights & freedoms of all people in the country. The issue of disability is address throughout.
United Republic of Tanzania National Policy on Disability
- The official position on disabilities of the government of the Republic of Tanzania.
Zambia: The Persons with Disabilities Act 1996
- An act established by the government of Zambia which supported the formation of the Zambia Agency for Persons with Disabilities, defined the functions of the Agency, established Management Boards, and established the National Trust Fund.
Zimbabwe: Disabled Persons Act 1992
- The Disabled persons Act of 1992 made provision for the welfare and rehabilitation of people with disabilities in the Republic of Zimbabwe.