Academic research, case studies, and reports on employment of people with disabilities.
Community Integration of People with Disabilities: Assessment of a Business Skills Training and Loan Scheme for Disabled Micro-Entrepreneurs in Kenya
- The purpose of this study was to assess the impact of business skills training and credit on the income and life of entrepreneurs with disabilities who participated in the scheme. This report is intended to demonstrate the validity of an approach which targets people with disabilities for self-employment through micro-business activities. PDF format.
Disability in the Workplace: Company Practices
- This report presents 25 contemporary case studies of company policies and practices related to disability, including hiring and retention, the development of products and services, and corporate social responsibility. Developed by the ILO.
Disability, Disparate Impact and Class Actions
- This Article reviews group-based employment discrimination theories and describes challenges to seemingly neutral workplace rules that disproportionately affected members of protected classes. It also advocates for group-based ADA employment cases.
Doing Business in Tigray: Case Studies of Women Entrepreneurs with Disabilities in Ethiopia
- This report focuses on developing entrepreneurship among women with disabilities in Ethiopia. It aims to promote economic empowerment among women with disabilities and women with disabled dependants. PDF format.
Employment of People with Disabilities: The Impact of Legislation (Asia and the Pacific): Japan Country Profile
- The country study outlines the main provisions of the laws in place in Japan concerning the employment of people with disabilities.
International Strategies for Disability-Related Work in Developing Countries: Historical, Modern and Critical Reflections
- International strategies concerned with disability in developing and transitional countries (DTC) are scrutinised critically, with an historical focus on beneficial traditions and practices in Asia and Africa, attesting the variety and complexity of social responses to disability.
Research on Employment Supports for People with Disabilities: Summary of the Focus Group Findings
- This report summarizes the findings from information collected during three sets of focus groups conducted for a study on employment supports for people with disabilities sponsored by the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The study is intended to increase the understanding of the role of various supports in helping people with disabilities find and maintain employment.
Segregated and Exploited: The Failure of the Disability Service System to Provide Quality Work
- This report examines problems of segregated work, sheltered environments, and sub-minimunm wages in employment. Created by the National Disability Rights Network.
Statistics and Databases
- Labour statistics play an essential role in the efforts of member States to achieve decent work for all and for the ILO's support of these efforts. These statistics are needed for the development and evaluation of policies towards this goal and for assessing progress towards decent work.
Strategies for skills acquisition for people with disabilities: A report for South Africa
- Report submitted to the International Labour Organization, Geneva, December 2006 by Thabo Mbeki Development Trust for Disabled People (TMDTDP), Disabled People South Africa, and Human Sciences Research Council.
The Price of Exclusion: The Economic Consequences of Excluding People with Disabilities From the World of Work
- Using data from a selection of ten countries in Asia and Africa, estimates the macro-economic costs of excluding people with disabilities from the world of work