Success stories, cases and best practices on HIV/AIDS prevention and disabilities.
A Handbook on Best Practices Regarding HIV and AIDS for People with Disabilities
- This handbook offers best practice models for HIV and AIDS service delivery for people with disabilities.
As It Is: Research Findings on the Knowledge, Attitude, Practice & Access to HIV and AIDS Information and Services Amongst Persons with Disability
- This study was created to obtain scientifically processed information concerning the knowledge, attitude, and practice among people with disabilities and HIV & AIDS in Kenya. PDF format.
Challenges and Successes in Addressing the Exclusion of People with Disabilities from HIV Prevention, Testing and Treatment
- The case studies explored in this paper demonstrate successful local and nationwide responses to the spread of HIV/AIDS among people with disabilities. The disabled people's and AIDS organizations highlighted are addressing the intersection of disability and AIDS in holistic, gender-sensitive and integrated ways. PDF format.
For Disabled Tanzanians, Informational Material About HIV/AIDS
- This two-page article describes a project in which education and peer support materials were developed to provide information on HIV/AIDS to people with disabilities in Tanzania. This included producing Braille materials, mostly in Kiswahili with some in English.
HIV&AIDS Awareness and Training Project for Blind and Partially Sighted Persons in Africa
- This report highlights the different activities that took place during project to raise awareness on HIV for blind and partially sighted people and makes recommendations to local and national governements. PDF format.
HIV/AIDS and Disability: New Challenges
- Discusses why there needs to be more research into HIV/AIDS among people with disabilities, why people with disabilities are at higher risk, the stigmatization of HIV and disability, and disabled caregivers of people with AIDS. Chapter 9 in the book "Disability and Social Change: A South African Agenda." PDF format.
Promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health for Persons with Disabilities
- The first comprehensive look at making sexual and reproductive health programs and services accessible to people with disabilities. Intended for sexual and reproductive health experts and advocates. Particularly helpful for those who address issues of family planning, maternal health, HIV and AIDS, adolescence, and gender-based violence.
Pushing Frontiers: Including the Disabled in Service Provision
- This article describes in detail how one Kenyan group has started reaching out to the Deaf community to provide HIV/AIDS eduction and treatment
Stories of Tragedy and Hope: Access to Treatment for People Living with HIV/AIDS
- This series of feature stories is about people living with HIV/AIDS. Each story is very different. Some tell a tale of people struggling with the debilitating effects of HIV and the fear of an early death.