Training for assistants and those working with people with disabilities who live independently.
BADD: Caregiver abuse takes many forms
- This article describes the many different ways that some caregivers may abuse people with disabilities in their care. The graphic of a "Power and Control Wheel" summarizes these different types of abuse. The author supplies examples of abuse that she has either witnessed or experienced.
Exploring the Research and Policy Gaps: A Review of Literature on Women and Disability
- Summarizes existing knowledge in Ireland and internationally about how issues for women with disabilities differ because of their gender and disability. Topics include social welfare, poverty, labor market, personal assistance, sexuality, communication difficulties. Page can be read online or downloaded in several formats.
How Assistive Technology Supports Independent Living
- This article serves as an introduction to the ways which assistive technology supports people with disabilities to live independently.
Independent and Community Living: The Views of People with Disabilities, Families and Frontline Staff
- The aim of this consultation was to elicit the views of people with intellectual disability, physical and sensory disabilities, family members, advocates and frontline service providers on options for independent living, community participation and quality of daily life for people with disabilities in Ireland that will maximise their independence, choice, control of their daily lives and community participation. Report available in html, PDF, or Word format.
Model National Personal Assistance Policy
- This model legislation for personal assistance policy was formulated using the combined personal experience of personal assistance services in eight European countries. PDF format.
Personal Assistance: What is it?
- This is an introductory presentation on personal assistance. It lists the differences between the employer, voucher, and assistance service models of personal assistance and how far each of them may reach.
Person-Centered Supports: How do States Make them Work?
- This essay explains the ways in which Wyoming, Wisconsin, Kansas, and Connecticut employ person-centered services for people with coexisting developmental disabilities. Their diverse approaches to set up such services may be employed by other states who fit one scenario more closely than another. PDF format.
The Guide: NASDDDS Handbook on Inclusive Meetings and Presentations
- This article by the National Association of State Directors of Developmental Disabilities Services (NASDDDS) concerns the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities into management or decision-makng circles. Best practices are suggested to ensure the greatest inclusive environment possible with dignity intact. PDF format.
The Ways to Organize Personal Assistance
- This document explains the differences between different forms of personal assistance. It also takes into account the various costs different personal assistance systems have and what environment certain systems may work best in.
World Report on Disability - Chapter 5: Assistance and Support
- This document is the fifth chapter of the World Report on Disability. It provides a broad overview of what assistance and support services are, how they can be implemented as policies, the role of families in caregiving, and barriers to attaining assistance and support. PDF format.