This section contains content on the basic concept and history of the independent living movement. It has materials targeted at people who might be new to the concept of "independent living" or new to the history of the movement.
A People's History of the Independent Living Movement
- The author relates stories from the independent living movement to create a people's history. This mongraph explores human rather than social forces. It looks at who rather than what shaped the independent living movement.
An Institution Is Not a Home
- This article argues for the rights of individuals with disabilities who are institutionalized to live at home. Institutions often seclude people and deprive them of learning to function in a community.
Independent Living Institute
- The Independent Living Institute (ILI) is a policy development center specializing in consumer-driven policies for the self-determination, self-respect and dignity of people with disabilties.
The Concept of Independent Living: A New Perspective in Rehabilitation
- This paper discusses issues related to the concept of independent living, rehabilitation laws, discirmination against people with disabilities and Americans with Disabilities Act.
The Independent Living Movement in the UK
- This article gives a history of the independent living movement in the United Kingdom (UK), how it developed, what legislation was put in place, and where it is now. PDF format.
The Need for Independent Living Programs: An Historical Context and Summary of Progressive Independent Living Services.
- In this article, Bruce Curtis, of the Technical Assistance Project, Center for Independent Living in Berkeley, California, traces the history of forced dependency and institutionalization which has and often continues to be the lot of people with disabilities.
The Road to Independent Living in the USA: An Historical Perspective and Contemporary Challenges
- The authors highlight the events and leaders that made the birth of the independent living movement possible. Also included are some basic philosophical tenets and assumptions that have guided the United States independent living movement, as well as some observations regarding emerging issues and trends.