Accessibility issues in relation to water and sanitation.
Creating User Friendly Water and Sanitation Services for the Disabled: The Experience of WaterAid Nepal and its Partners
- Describes a project that successfully promoted accessible water and sanitation services for people with disabilities in Nepal. PDF format.
Disability and Sanitation: Soap and Toilets
- Considers how people with disabilities can have access to safe water and sanitation. PDF format.
How to Build an Accessible Environment in Developing Countries : Manual #2 - Access to Water & Sanitation Facilities, Part 1 – Toilets & Closed Showers
- This manual shows how to build accessible water and sanitation facilities, including toilets, closed showers, washing areas and access to clear water. It is the first part of Manual #2 in the three-manual series.
This study was based on the Cambodia program's experience.
How to Build an Accessible Environment in Developing Countries : Manual #2 – Access to Water & Sanitation Facilities, Part 2 – Open Washing Areas & Water Points
- This manual shows how to build accessible water and sanitation facilities, including toilets, closed showers, washing areas and access to clean water. It is the second part of manual #2 in the three-manual series. Based on the Cambodia program's experience.
IDA Statement on the Right of People with Disabilities to Water and Sanitation (Sept 2011)
- The International Disability Alliance produced this statement about the barriers that people with disaiblities face in accessing water and sanitation.
Improving Accessibility for All
- An article on the work that WaterAid does to make water resources accessible to people with disabilities.
L'alimentation en eau et les Installations Sanitaires pour les personnes handicapees et autres groupes Vulnerables: La Conception des Services Permettant d'ameliorer l'accessibilite
- By Jones, H. & Reed, R.A., 2006, ISBN: 9781843801016. L'objectif principal du livre est sur les installations pour les familles dans les zones rurales et péri-urbaines des pays à faible et à revenu intermédiaire, mais la plupart des approches et des solutions peuvent également être appliquées dans les milieux institutionnels, tels que les écoles et les hôpitaux et en cas d'urgence situations.
Reaching the Hard to Reach
- This article describes WaterAid International's approach to getting proper water and sanitation to people with disabilities in India.
Water and Sanitation for Disabled People and Other Vulnerable Groups: Designing Services to Improve Accessibility
- By Jones, H. & Reed, R.A., 2005, ISBN: 9781843800798. The main focus of the book is on facilities for families in rural and peri-urban areas of low- and middle-income countries, but many of the approaches and solutions may also be applied in institutional settings, such as schools and hospitals and in emergency situations.