How to promote the rights of deaf students to participate in education programs. Also includes protecting the right to use sign language to access education and communication in the classroom.
An Overview of Deaf Education in Nigeria
- This article provides an interesting insight into the history of deaf education in Nigeria. It also outlines the present situation for deaf children and highlights some of the many challenges for deaf people and deaf education in Nigeria.
Developing Literacy with Deaf Adults
- This book chapter argues that the most effective way to improve the reading and writing literacy skills of Deaf adult students is to teach them through their native signed language. PDF format.
Differences in Student Characteristics in Face-to-Face and Online Cohorts in a Teacher Preparation Program in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Over the past decade, teacher preparation programs in education of the deaf and hard of hearing have integrated online learning, but there have been few systematic attempts to determine to what extent, if any, this may be associated with a change in relevant student characteristics. The purpose of the present study was to compare student characteristics of the last four face-to-face and the first four hybrid (combined online and face-to-face) cohorts in a specialist-teacher preparation program that underwent a transition from face-to-face to hybrid formats.
Education for Deaf Children in Africa: A Personal View
- This article gives an account of experiences in Liberia and some of the history of deaf education in Africa. It also highlights learning from the study visits and conclusions for the development of deaf education in Liberia.
Education of Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deafblind People: Aims and Strategies
- Education of Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deafblind People: Aims and Strategies, CBM.
Education Policy for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People in Ireland
- This is a joint organization policy paper on education for students who are deaf and hard of hearing in Ireland. DeafHear is included as a co-sponsor of the paper.
- This is a summary of a conference held for the education of children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Included are prental and professional speeches and opinions.
Parent Letter to Peers
- A family’s start-of-school letter to the students and families in their son Ben’s class, explaining Ben's cerebral palsy and hearing problem.
The Inclusion of Deaf Learners: Observations from EENET's action research study in Zambia
- This article argues for the mainstreaming of students who are deaf in Zambian schools. The authors believe the only way to fully achieve an inclusive environment, sign language must be incorporated into the curriculum.
Working with Deaf Children, Young People and their Families in Sri Lanka
- This article provides a detailed account of the way MENCAFEP works with children and young people who are deaf and those who have additional impairments. Efforts to promote education in local schools and to secure employment are described.