Please consult the Global Disability Rights Library portal to find more resources related to poverty issues among people with disabilities.
Annual Report 2011
- The 2011 Annual Report for the Action on Disability and Development group. PDF format.
Disability and Poverty
- This article discusses the circular relationship between poverty and disability.
Disability in Development - Experiences in Inclusive Practices
- This publication gives an account of the experiences gained and the lessons learned in implementing CAHD in
different contexts. It gives examples of CAHD at work, opening up general community services to people with
disabilities, facilitating inclusion.
Disabled beggars in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- This study brings together qualitative and quantitative data to better understand the lives of people with disabilities who beg in Ethiopia. It sets out to provide an initial understanding of the lives of disabled beggars with particular emphasis on determining social and economic factors, and sequences of events or patterns of behaviour that are common to people with disabilities who now work as beggars.
End the Cycle: Poverty and Disability
- Provides information about the cycle of disability and poverty: disability increases the risk of poverty and the conditions of poverty increase the risk of disability. Offers lesson plans and personal stories for teaching primary school students about disability and poverty.
Fact Sheet on Persons with Disabilities
- This document provides basic information about the lives of people with disabilties around the world, developed by the United Nations.
HIV/AIDS and Disability: New Challenges
- Discusses why there needs to be more research into HIV/AIDS among people with disabilities, why people with disabilities are at higher risk, the stigmatization of HIV and disability, and disabled caregivers of people with AIDS. Chapter 9 in the book "Disability and Social Change: A South African Agenda." PDF format.
Microfinance from the Point of View of Women with Disabilities: Lessons from Zambia and Zimbabwe
- In this article, the multiple barriers facing women with disabilities who wish to obtain microfinance are outlined. Research from Zambia and Zimbabwe highlights key issues facing disabled businesswomen, and recommendations are made that would enable development organisations to mainstream the experience and analysis of disabled women into their programmes. PDF format.
The Disabled Beggar ľ A Literature Review
- Beggars with disabilities are among the poor and disadvantaged in society. Yet they are virtually invisible in the policy agenda of countries around the world, and indeed are overlooked in advocacy efforts to improve opportunities for people with disabilities in general. This literature review originated as part of an exploratory study of beggars with disabilities in Ethiopia, reported on in ILO Working Paper No. 141 published in 2013.
Winning the Battle Against Poverty and Disability
- An article from a conference in Sri Lanka on ways to eliminate poverty amongst people with disabilities and best include them in mainstream society.