This page provides content that can give readers a basic overview of poverty issues and the international development field. International development in its broadest sense can include not only reducing poverty in developing countries but also closely related indicators such as improving access to education, health care, employment, and human rights. For content on human rights, visit the General Human Rights portal or the Global Disability Rights Library portal.
Agricultural Trade Issues
- This article shows the positive and negative affects of farm subsidiaries to OECD countries. These countries are oftentimes the richest countries in the world but because of an unbalanced economy, these farmers often get the short end of the stick.
Aid Architecture: Overview of Trends in Official Devel. Assistance Flows
- This paper provides background data and analysis to help inform upcoming discussions on the role of IDA in the global aid architecture. The paper reviews broad trends in Official Development Assistance (ODA) flows; the growing complexity of the existing global aid architecture; and the prospects and challenges facing the donor community going forward.
Big leap in China-Africa ties
- Beijing offers continent more aid, trade and business
Conflict Resources: From 'Curse' to Blessing
- Discussion of how the diamond trade can be made peaceful.
Diamonds Dominate Namibia's economy
- Article discussing the importance of diamonds to Namibia's economy
Linking Population and Development
- Population dynamics, including growth rates, age structure, fertility and mortality, migration and more—influence every aspect of human, social and economic development. In turn, other core areas of UNFPA’s work, including reproductive health and women’s empowerment, powerfully influence population trends.
- Professionally trained midwives have had an essential role in helping to achieve the Millennium Development Goals of reducing maternal and newborn mortality rates. Yet, the midwifery profession often garners little recognition, meager income, and limited career opportunities in addition to inconsistent training practices. These factors contribute to the acute shortage of these valuable healthcare workers.
Preventing Genocide: From Rhetoric to Action
- UN Special Advisor urges firm measures against Darfur genocide.
Protecting Our Planet - Securing Our Future: Linkages Among Global Environmental Issues and Human Needs
- Protecting Our Planet - Securing Our Future: Linkages Among Global Environmental Issues and Human Needs, 1998 (NASA, UNEP, World Bank)
Targeting 'conflict diamonds' in Africa
- UN Security Council seeks to enforce sanctions against rebels, arms suppliers
Tratamiento para las niñas y los niños cuando la crisis nutricional amenaza
- Vídeo sobre el tratamiento nutricional para niños y niñas. Video regarding nutritional treatment for girls and boys.