AMDD: Averting Maternal Death and Disability
- The aim of this program is to strengthen national health systems to make pregnancy and childbirth safer.
Averting Maternal Death and Disability: Technical Resources
- Collection of resources on averting maternal death and disability.
Causes and Prevention of Intellectual Disabilities
- A discussion of causes and potential for prevention of intellectual disabilities.
Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention
- An article about the danger of lead poisoning causing disability in young children.
Coal-fired Power Stations Linked to Serious Health Defects in Children
- In an area close to two coal-fired power stations, there are a significant number of children with growth defects and mental disabilities. Studies indicate that such conditions are a result of the heavy metal pollution from the coal. However, the authorities seem not to be taking the findings seriously.
Disability Prevention and Rehabilitaion: A Guide for Strengthening the Basic Nursing Curriculum
- A guide for developing nursing curriculum to include disability and rehabilitation, developed by the World Health Organization
Disability, Including Prevention, Management and Rehabilitation
- This article gives the World Health Assembly's report urging member states to promote disability awareness and disability rights and stating that all governments should work to reduce risk factors contributing to disabilities.
Facts About Childhood Immunizations
- Prior to widespread immunization in the United States, infectious diseases killed or disabled thousands of children each year. The near elimination of intellectual disabilities due to measles encephalitis, congenital rubella syndrome, and Haemophilus influenzae type b meningitis or Hib can be contributed to vaccines.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Recognition & Prevention
- Women’s Health & Education Center (WHEC) Contribution. This chapter is very likely to appeal to any person concerned with human development. We express our sincere thanks to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, Boston, MA (USA).
From disease specific toward comprehensive and integrated management of disabling diseases: diabetes, lymphatic filariasis and Buruli ulcer
- This document reports on the disabling diseases seminar organised in Nairobi in which participants from 22 countries gathered to exchange state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of disabling diseases: diabetes, lymphatic filariasis and Buruli ulcer.
Have Wise Ears! for Life
- This page contains information on the prevention of noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL)
Primary Prevention of Mental, Neurological and Psychosocial Disorders
- This book is intended to serve primarily as a handy reference book for policy-makers and professionals within and outside the medical sector who are in a position to help prevent mental, neurological and psychosocial disorders.
Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Shaken baby syndrome is caused by vigorous shaking of an infant or young child by the arms, legs, chest or shoulders. Forceful shaking can result in brain damage leading to intellectual or developmental disabilities, speech and learning disabilities, paralysis, seizures, hearing loss and even death.
Submission on the HSE National Review of Audiology Services
- This article describes the importance of quality audiology services for both children and adults. It correlates the quality and speed of the services to the greatest good of people who are deaf and hard of hearing in society.
WHO Plan of Action on the Prevention of Avoidable Blindness and Visual Impairment: 2006-2011
- This document provides guidance for identifying the main global challenges for eye
health, the opportunities for addressing them and the action to be taken by the international community
in order to improve eye health globally.