Please see the "Employment" pages of the Global Disability Rights Library for more information on this topic.
Actions that Could Increase Work Participation for Adults with Disabilities
- This report covers a forum that was held to explore policy options and actions that could be taken to help adults with a current or past work history improve their participation in the workforce.
Disability Insurance with Pre-Funding and Private Participation: The Chilean Model
- This paper analyzes how Chile, the country that pioneered individual account systems, handles disability insurance and has cut disability costs. The disability insurance system in Chile is less well-known than the old age pension part, but it is equally
eDeaf: Employ & Empower
- This organization works to promote the employment of deaf people in South Africa by educating employers about deaf people and by providing basic adult education to deaf employees.
Employment Situation of People with Disabilities in Bangladesh
- The aim of this study was to examine how many people with disabilities were living in poverty due to being unemployed.
Good Practices for the Economic Inclusion of People with Disabilities in Developing Countries: Funding Mechanisms for Self-Employment
- This report highlights good practices, strategies, tools, and operational methods for the efficiency and sustainability of projects that support access to funding mechanisms for landmine victims and people with disabilities in general. Specifically, the study focuses on the use of microcredit and grants for the start-up and expansion of micro-enterprises. PDF format.
ILO Publications on Disability
- This is a list with short descriptions of all the publications on disability that the International Labour Office (ILO) has made. Follow the links to the resources you are interested in.
Integrating Women and Girls with Disabilities into Mainstream Vocational Training: A Practical Guide
- This guide discusses the main issues relating to the seriously disadvantaged position of women with disabilities. It suggests practical actions for vocational training institutes to increase the enrolment, participation, and integration of women with disabilities into their training programs. PDF format.
Job and Work Analysis Guidelines on Identifying Jobs for Persons with Disabilities
- As people with disabilities enter in greater numbers into competitive employment, it has become clear that they can be excellent employees, an asset to their employers, if they work in jobs matched to their skills, abilities and interests. Job and work analysis can be useful in identifying suitable jobs within the enterprise, and adjustments and accommodations which may need to be carried out, and in making it easier to match the skills and abilities of the disabled job seeker with the requirements of the job.
Neglected or Hidden: Connecting Employers and People with Disabilities in Canada
- This is the final report of an investigation into why thousands of Canadians with disabilities were unemployed. The number of tables and graphs has been intentionally limited, and the format kept straightforward, in order to make its contents as accessible as possible to readers with disabilities. PDF format.
Practical Solutions: Customized Employment - Finding the Right Fit
- This handout shows real examples of people with disabilities being active in the workforce. Employers are embracing new strategies to meet a diverse workforce. The result answers employment challenges for unemployed workers with disabilities and gives employers an economic competitive. PDF format.
Practical Solutions: Employment Supports: Providing the Right Support
- This informational booklet includes ways to fully support your workers with disabilities through transportation, housing, home modification, personal assistance, assistive technology and health care. PDF format.
The Invisible Workforce
- An evaluation of a survey among our members with Down Syndrome of working age to find out about their employment experiences.