The right of accessibility to basic health care services.
Access to Health Care for Women with Disabilities
- For most women with disabilities, the disability by itself is not usually a health problem. But women with disabilities
often have health problems that go untreated because of physical and social barriers in their communities.
Access to Medical Care for Individuals With Mobility Disabilities
- This publication provides guidance for medical care providers on the requirements of treating people with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act. It includes commonly asked questions and their answers as well as drawings of accessible examination rooms. PDF format.
Assisted Suicide and Disabled People – A Briefing Paper
- This briefing paper outlines the arguments for and against in relation to cases where people have sought to legalise assisted suicide. The paper argues that should such legislation be introduced, the threat to the lives of disabled people will be greater than ever.
Communicating with People Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in Hospital Settings
- This page describes the situations in which the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires hospitals to provide sevices for people with disabilities and what services they are required to provide.
Disability and Diversity - A Paradigm Shift
- This is a copy of a speech from Tony Vardaro, a representative of NEDA at the Diversity in Health Conference 2005. Vardaro alludes to the common unequal treatment of persons of disabilities in the health system. Word document format.
Disability Perspectives and Recommendations on Proposals to Reform the Medicaid and Medicare Programs
- This report provides recommendations from the National Council on Disability on how to reform the Medicaid and Medicare Programs in the United States.
Finding the Final Fifth: Inequalities in Immunisation
- Globally, immunisation rates have increased, pushing child mortality rates down. Today, polio is endemic in only a few countries, down from more than 125 in 1988, and we are on the verge of making it the second disease after smallpox to be eradicated. The next step is to close the gap and go the final mile with health ministries and other partners to ensure the success of vaccination efforts for all.
Meeting the Needs of People with Disabilities: New Approaches in the Health Sector
- This note aims to introduce perspectives, concepts, and guidelines that may facilitate the effective inclusion of a disability
dimension in health sector development plans and operations.
Removing Barriers to Health Care
- This guide gives health care providers a better understanding of how to improve both the physical environment and personal interactions with patients with disabilities. Developed by the North Carolina Office on Disability and Health.