This page contains assistive technology solutions that may be helpful for people who cannot see or have low vision. Some of this technologies may also be helpful for people who have dyslexia or other reading-related disabilities or who may be unable to read due to limited educational opportunities.
Assistive Technology Solutions for People with Visual Disabilities
- This page links to a database of assistive technology products to aid people with vision related disabilities. These categories give you descriptions of products, and contact information for how to speak with the manufacturers of these products.
Digital Competence Screenreader Network
- This project supports the digital competence of blind and visually impaired computer users. DICOMP-S.Net makes available a free screen reader for blind and visually impaired people in Europe and, in an extensive dissemination campaign, distribute it directly to the target group.
Thunder Screen Reader
- Thunder is a free screenreader talking software for people with little or no sight. It works well with Windows 7, Vista or XP. Thunder is available all over the world in 8 languages and it really is absolutely free. (Note: if you have issues with the font size, click the "normal text" in the top left of the page)
Thunder User's Manual
- “Computer Success with Thunder” is for anyone wanting to learn how to use a computer without sight. It’s aimed at beginners, but teachers and non-Thunder users may find something fresh. It covers: Introduction to the keyboard including the functions of the non-alphabetic keys; Get going with email including Outlook; Microsoft Word topics range from writing your first document to creating folders and tables; Sections on using the Ribbon, F6 key, the Calculator and more; For people with some sight How to make the most of Microsoft’s accessibility; Comprehensive lists of keystrokes including Thunder keys; Learn to use the internet with WebbIE and Internet Explorer.
WebbIE and Accessible Programs
- WebbIE is a suite of accessibility software for assist blind and low vision users. Includes a web browser, PDF reader, a calendar, and other web-based accessibility tools.