Information about the Independent Living movement. The Independent Living movement promotes the right of people with disabilities to live independently in their own homes and in communities, instead of being institutionalized.
Asociación Iniciativas y Estudios Sociales (AIES)
- AIES está orientada a propiciar una cultura respetuosa de la igualdad de oportunidades y trata de favorecer actitudes sociales antidiscriminatorias hacia las personas con diversidad funcional (discapacidad) y otros colectivos inmersos en procesos de exclusión social. Spanish (limited number of resources in English).
Checklist for Organizing Independent Living Events
- In this checklist the author covers the steps of planning, event format, event contents, and media work which are crucial to the success of a workshop, training session, seminar, or conference on independent living. PDF format.
Emergency Planning for Centers for Independent Living
- Resources on developing an emergency planning program for independent living programs
European Network on Independent Living
- The European Network on Independent Living (ENIL) is a Europe-wide network of people with disabilities, with members throughout Europe. ENIL is a forum for all disabled people, Independent Living organisations and their non-disabled allies on the issues of Independent Living. ENIL represents the disability movement for human rights and social inclusion based on solidarity, peer support, deinstitutionalisation, democracy, self-representation, cross disability and self-determination. ENIL promotes equal opportunities for disabled people and fights against discrimination in Europe. ENIL addresses the under-representation of persons with extensive disabilities in European disability and social politics, as well as in mainstream society.
How Assistive Technology Supports Independent Living
- This article serves as an introduction to the ways which assistive technology supports people with disabilities to live independently.
How to set up an Independent Living Program: 27 questions and answers
- This manual addresses basic issues and concerns faced by people who are involved in setting up an independent living center on a very practical level.
Independent Choices: Enhancing Consumer Direction for People with Disabilities.
- Allowing consumers to manage and direct the long-term services they need acknowledges that they are the best judges of their own needs and the best decision-makers on how these needs get met - an acknowledgment seldom made.
Independent Living and the Family: The Context of Costa Rica and Sweden
- The author dicusses three topics that are intimately linked to the concept of independent living: society's present view of disability and sexuality; the tendency to place persons with disabilities in institutions; and, thirdly, ways to support disabled people to live in the community rather than in institutions.
Independent Living for People with Disabilities: From Patient to Citizen and Customer.
- Keynote at the conference in Barcelona 22 October 2007 organized by the Catalan Party Convergéncia i Unió in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of The Spanish Law for Persons with Disabilities of 1982.
Independent Living Research Utilization
- The ILRU (Independent Living Research Utilization) program is a national center for information, training, research, and technical assistance in independent living in the United States. Its goal is to expand the body of knowledge in independent living and to improve utilization of results of research programs and demonstration projects in this field.
Moving from Residental Institutions to Community Based Social Services In Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union
- This study reviews the use of residential institutions, focusing on five countries –Albania, Armenia, Lativia, Lithuania, and Romania- where the World Bank is helping develop community-based social services to reduce the reliance on residential institutions. The study examines the use of residential institutions for three groups: children, people with disabilities, and the frail and isolated elderly. PDF format.
The Independent Living Movement in the UK
- This article gives a history of the independent living movement in the United Kingdom (UK), how it developed, what legislation was put in place, and where it is now. PDF format.
Timeline of the International Independent Living Movement
- A timeline of the development of the Independent Living Movement worldwide, from 1755 to 2000.