August/September 2010 Newsletter
In the August/September 2010 Issue:
University of British Columbia Students Study eGranary Use in Uganda
eGranary Showcased at Tibetan Children's Village Golden Jubilee Celebration
AmeriCorps Ed Volunteer Donates a Summer of Service
A Special Thanks to Seagate International
To get the WiderNet newsletter in your inbox, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to join our mailing list!
In Uganda, PhD students under the direction of Prof. Bonny Norton, University of British Columbia, have made the eGranary Digital Library the subject of their Doctoral dissertations. The students are using the eGranary as a tool to advance digital literacy in east African nations.
On October 23, 2010, the Tibetan Children's Village (TCV) in Dharamsala, India, will celebrate its Golden Jubilee 50th Anniversary. The first school was opened here in 1960 by the elder sister of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government-in-Exile as a residence to house and educate 51 children of Tibetan refugees in India. Today 17,000 Tibetan children attend a dozen schools all over India.
An AmeriCorp Ed volunteer, Colin Thompson, worked as an eGranary portal developer for the WiderNet Project this summer. AmeriCorps Ed is a nationwide program that provides higher education awards to students in exchange for completion of community service work.
The WiderNet Project staff gives special thanks for the donation of 397 internal drives from Seagate International. The donated drives will host the newest 2 TB version of the eGranary. Seagate has been a steadfast supporter of WiderNet and the eGranary Digital Library over the years, we are vey grateful for this donation and their support.
Please contact us if you are interested in more information on any of these events.
- September 15-18: Cliff Missen at USICD Training for Global Disability Rights Library in Washington, DC, USA
- September 26: WiderNet's 10-Year Anniversary Celebration and Movie Night in Iowa City, Iowa, USA
- October 5-8: Brent Palmer at Lucene Revolution Conference in Boston, Mass., USA
- October 7: WiderNet Open House, 11 AM-4 PM, at WiderNet offices in Iowa City, Iowa, USA
- October 15: Cliff Missen at the Iowa Library Association Fall Conference in Coralville, Iowa, USA
- December 3-9: Cliff Missen at SCECSAL Conference in Gaborone, Botswana