WiderNet - What is COEP
The Corrections Off-line Education Platform (COEP) is an off-line digital library (eGranary) that serves users in detention, treatment and other institutions that lack Internet access.
Benefits of this Platform
- Secure, off-line connection
- No bandwidth costs
- Provide thousands of individuals with instant access to educational materials over local area networks (LANs).
- Provide a low-cost way to deliver millions of educational resources
- tools for creating new, local content.
- Includes pre-configured Web 2.0 technologies.
How Do We Do This?
The eGranary is a digital library as well as an intranet; this provides users with both highly organized information as well as browsing that information on an Internet-like interface. The eGranary delivers millions of Internet resources to institutions lacking adequate Internet access through a process of copying Web sites – with permission – and delivering them to intranet Web servers inside partner institutions.
Main features of COEP:
The WiderNet has developed Prison centered packages with an emphasis on:
- Computer-based job search training
- Web design
- Life-skill building
- COEP's customized interfaces making it easier for educators and inmates to locate the right materials.
2,000+ authors and publishers have granted permission to distribute their work, including:
- Gutenberg Project
- MIT’s OpenCourseware